Published on July 1st, 2017 | by Blogger Local0
Top 10 Best Web Design Companies In Kansas City 2018
Every day, business owners in Kansas City search online for web design companies. Most companies understand that today, web design is much more than just graphic design.
Getting a great looking website is not the same thing as getting a website that is found easily online.
Pretty websites…are rarely websites that convert as well as unpretty ones.
– Seth Godin
In other words, if your website doesn’t help your business make money, then it’s a waste of money.
Some of the website design companies on this top ten list cater to larger and even fortune 500 companies around the country, while others serve small and medium sized businesses in the KC metro area and the Midwest region.
Our staff has looked high and low for the best local Kansas City web design companies that have a long history of delivering creative web design for happy clients. If you are looking for ratings and reviews of the top Kansas City web design firms, this is the definitive list.
We present you with the very best web development agencies in Kansas City for 2018:
The Top Ten Best Kansas City Web Developers and KC Web Design Agencies 2018
1. Kansas City Web Design® (https://kcwebdesigner.com): This boutique agency is widely regarded as the best small business web development agency in the region when it comes to creating revenue-generating, Google-friendly websites. In fact, UpCity ranks KC Web Design #9 among all web design firms in the nation. Kansas City Web Design creates custom websites based on the agency’s proprietary Kansas City Web Design® search engine friendly coding and then powers each site with Kansas City SEO®, a proven search engine optimization system used by small businesses throughout the country. The agency is owned and operated by an Amazon best-selling author and nationally recognized SEO-expert. The world’s top rated small-business marketing guru John Jantsch, author of the Wall Street Journal best-selling Duct Tape Marketing, endorses this digital agency as one of the best of its kind.
2. Barkley: (https://www.barkleyus.com): Barkley is a Kansas City based full-service digital advertising agency known for their work on Sonic Drive-In Restaurants. Founded in 1964, they employ over 3oo people. Barkley is the largest independent advertising agency in Kansas City, and the seventh largest independent advertising agency in the US. Barkley is also one of the largest employee-owned advertising agencies.
Some of the agencies specialties include advertising, creative, Public Relations, interactive, relationship marketing, design, media, cause marketing, social media and brand activation.
3. VML (http://www.vml.com): VML is a global marketing agency that delivers forward-thinking ideas and solutions for the world’s most influential brands, including: MillerCoors brands Coors and Coors Light, Charter Communications, Colgate-Palmolive, COBRA PUMA GOLF, Dell, Gatorade, the Kellogg Company, Kimberly-Clark, Krispy Kreme, Microsoft, NAPA AUTO PARTS, PepsiCo, Southwest Airlines, U.S. Soccer, Tennessee Tourism, Wendy’s and Xerox. Founded in 1992 and headquartered in Kansas City, Mo., VML joined the world’s largest communications services group WPP in 2001. VML has more than 2,200 employees with principal offices in 24 locations across six continents. In 2012, The Kansas City Business Journal named VML as the top web development company in Kansas City.
4. Digital Evolution Group (http://www.degdigital.com): DEG creates digital marketing, commerce and collaboration strategies that empower organizations to amplify their competitive advantages and achieve their objectives. Since opening in 1999, they have used their expertise to help clients by by crafting innovative approaches that employ digital direct marketing and eCRM, social media, integrated e-commerce, web content management, enterprise collaboration, and mobile development—all driven and supported by analytics, process management, technological prowess, and award-winning creative.
5. Intouch Solutions (https://www.intouchsol.com): Intouch Solutions offers solutions for healthcare companies who want to educate customers, build community, and ultimately allow patients and healthcare professionals to experience their products.
6. Johnny Lightning Strikes Again (http://www.jlsa.com): Johnny Lightning Strikes Again is a full service creative agency in based in Kansas City, MO that helps businesses achieve their objectives through strategic advertising, branding, website design and marketing. This agency has worked with number of marquee clients such as Overstock.com. The firm’s specialties and skill include advertising, design, branding, marketing, web design, web development and copywriting.
7.Blacktop Creative (http://www.blacktopcreative.com):Blacktop describes itself as ‘brand experience’ firm located in Kansas City, Missouri. The agency was founded in 2001. In 2010, Barkely acquired Blacktop creative. (listed above). As of this writing, Blacktop creative lists the following companies as clients: Applebees, Sporting Kansas City and PlyGem.
8. emFluence (http://www.emfluence.com): emfluence is a full service interactive marketing agency based in Kansas City, Missouri. emfluence’s roots run back as far as 1999 when it was a fast growing division of an advertising agency. In 2003, emfluence spun off from CHRW . Since that time, emfluence has provided interactive marketing services, including web development services, for numerous agencies and direct clients across almost every industry segment.
9. TANK New Media : (http://tanknewmedia.com) TANK is a boutique digital marketing and creative agency in Kansas City focused on brand identity, web design and website development, and integrated marketing strategies.
This Kansas City based digital agency focuses on creating integrated marketing solutions for businesses, non-profits and startup companies.
10. Rhycom (https://rhycom.com): Rhycom takes a consultative, business-based approach to Kansas City web development. According to the Rhycom website, this digital agency doesn’t focus solely on marketing and advertising, they “learn how your people, products and processes function and recommend marketing strategies and tactics that optimize your business performance.” Rhycom has industry expertise in healthcare, technology, financial, engineering, food and agriculture.
Are you ready to hire a Kansas City Web Designer?
If you are ready to hire a web design company, you can’t really go wrong with any of the agencies listed above.
No matter which web developer you hire, there are 5 very important questions you will need to ask before your purchase web design services – so that you get the best possible results – and best return on your investment:
1. Do you understand my marketing goals and the purpose of my new website?
Your first question should be more of a discovery question. There is no way to design new website the right way, unless the web design company understands your company’s marketing goals and business objectives. Your web design company must have a understanding of your business, who your ideal customers are, and what the ultimate goal of your new website is. Very few Kansas City web design companies will discuss your marketing or lead-generation objectives. They want you to focus on the shiny stuff, like front-end design, videos, bell-and-whistle functions and features. But today, your website needs to be your company’s marketing platform.
2. What are your search engine optimization (SEO) credentials and how will you ensure my new website is Google friendly?
This may be the most important question you ask. “Googling” has become part of the modern purchase process. Google is the one-common denominator in business today. Believe it or not, not every consumer uses Facebook, or Twitter or Instagram. But EVERYONE these days uses Google. The truth is, very few web designers apply SEO-best practices to web design. SEO is a bit technical, and the last thing a web design company wants (usually) is to be accountable for lead generation. Most web design companies only want to sell you a design-driven “digital brochure” website, because it’s a lot easier for them and a lot less work…and a lot easier to sell.
3. Will you being using any type of pre-made website, website builder, template or pre-made WordPress theme?
The vast majority of web designers in Kansas City sell pre-made WordPress themes that are then slightly customized for your business. Big mistake. Free and low cost templates are meant to sell to the mass market on the cheap. Although many templates look good and have nice features out of the box, they are not Google-friendly and almost never have best-practices coding. Some web design companies will even resell you web builder site from Wix, Weebly or Square Space and charge you a huge premium. Here’s how it works: the web design company buys a pre-made theme for $50 and then re-sells it to you (with some tweaking) for $3,000 or $5,000+. This is the way the game is played. It’s OK for a website design company to use themes, as long as they upfront about it and as long as you know that a pre-made website will never have the SEO or money-making potential as custom website that was built for your business from the ground up.
4. Will I own my new website and it’s content?
Never, ever buy a domain or hosting services through your website or marketing company. This is a way agencies like to make you a “sticky” client (i.e. hard to leave), and in the worst cases they can hold your website hostage or just plain disappear. Your Kansas City web designer should build you a website on an open source Content Management System (“CMS” – preferably WordPress) that you own outright. Make sure that your company will own the design, content, website domain, and that they build the site on a non-proprietary CMS. This is really a bigger question that you realize because it’s so common for web developers to try to “sink their hooks” into your company so they can nickel-and-dime fees from you for eternity. However, it is very common for web designers to charge a monthly maintenance fee, but in most cases these website maintenance fees should be less than $99/mo (unless your web design company will also be provide ongoing marketing services).
5. Who is on your team & where are you located?
It takes a village to raise a child, and it takes a team to build a website. Yet, the vast majority of low cost web designers in Kansas City are solopreneurs or Mom and Pop web designers. The best web design firms in the KC metro area are the ones that have years of track record, hundreds of completed projects and actual physical office space. A best-practices web design needs at least 4 different people with distinct skill-sets: a graphic designer, a programmer, an SEO expert and a project manager. Some teams have more people, but your web design partner’s team needs at least a 4-man team to build a modern website. If you hire a one-man band, freelancer, or remote web developer, there’s a pretty good chance your company will get burned.
Remember, your website is an investment – choose your Kansas City web developer carefully:
Summary: Kansas City Web Design tops this year's list as the best web design company in Kansas City. Check out the reviews for other web development agencies in this post for some great local KC website development options - from agencies that serve large companies, to those that build custom websites for small businesses, and everything in between.